Author Interview - Jodie Pierce

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2014 8:15 AM
0






Hello Everyone!

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Jodie Pierce author of 11 Vampire novellas.

Hi Jodie, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?

What were you like at school? 
I was the smart kid but not the nerd. I always raised my hand to read out loud, I stayed after class or visited during study halls to help out the teacher, I was a social butterfly.
Were you good at English?
It was my favorite subject and in 10th grade I was moved from regular English to advanced English.
What are your ambitions for your writing career? 
To be a New York Times Best-Selling Author
So, what have you written? 
The Vampire Queen, The Vampire Chronicles, Demise of the Vampire Queen, Condemned By A Vampire, The Reluctant Vampire, Crime Bites and So Do I, Once Sanguist/Twice Bi, Children of the Night, Wild Cards, In Vein, Beautiful Disasters
Where can we buy or see them?
Just go to Amazon.com and type in my name. All my books will come up. I also have them on Smashwords.com and B&N.
What inspired you to write your first book? 
I always liked English and my class was having a contest for a magazine. I won the contest and never looked back.
What was the hardest part about writing your book? 
Staying inspired. Hubby often gives me a general idea and I take it from there and run. However, sometimes it’s hard to stay motivated when I don’t plan out books…I write as I’m inspired or dream about the story.
Do you have a specific writing style? 
Nope. I just write when I’m inspired or have a dream about the story.
How did you come up with the title? 
Hubby is usually my title man. That is the hardest part for me so I get him to give me a few ideas and pick from there.
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? Not really.


Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special? 
My main characters are a female vampire which is different from the sexy, handsome male vampire that seduces the female human. I like having a strong female lead.
What are you working on at the minute?
I’m actually working on two stories. One is an 1880’s old west vampire story and the other is a prequel to my Vampire Queen trilogy.
What genre are your books? 
Paranormal with some erotica from time to time.
What draws you to this genre? 
I’ve always had a fascination with vampires so after reading an Anne Rice book, I decided to put my fascination to good use.
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book? 
Angelina Jolie, she’s the hot and sexy vampire I always imagine my lead character.
How much research do you do? 
A TON!!! I LOVE research so any chance to do more and I pick it up and run with it.
Have you written any other novels in collaboration with other writers? 
Yes. I have three charity books that are anthologies with other Authors. One is for St. Jude and the other two are for The National Children’s Cancer Center. I almost forgot, I’m also working on another charity anthology for the ASPCA. A friend and I started a Facebook group and through it was create these books.
Why did you do decide to collaborate and did that affect your sales? 
I collaborated to get more people involved but it’s all for charity so I didn’t see any sales from it.
When did you decide to become a writer?
I guess ever since that writing contest in middle school, when I won, I figured I was pretty good and I loved the feeling of being able to say I was a published Author and it’s what I decided I always wanted to do it.
Why do you write? 
I’m a very creative person and I feel if I wasn’t able to write, I’d been stifling my gift.
What made you decide to sit down and actually start something? 
I started just writing stories in middle school about kid relationships. It wasn’t until I read Anne Rice and Christine Feehan in college that I found my true direction.
Do you write full-time or part-time? 
Well, I have the time to write full-time but don’t always have the ambition to write full-time.
Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured? 
I’m on disability so I don’t really have structured days. I just write as I can.
Do you write every day, 5 days a week or as and when? 
I write usually about 5 days a week as I’m inspired.
Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day? 
No. I feel like that puts too much restriction on me and wants to be able to allow myself to flow freely.
Do you write on a computer, dictate or longhand? 
I write on a computer. I started writing in composition books and then moved to my laptop as I got it.
Where do your ideas come from? 
Usually, hubby gives me a general idea and then I fill in the blanks and write from myself from there forward.
Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I just like to see where the story takes me. I feel writing an outline restricts me too much.
How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
I can tell the difference just in my Vampire Queen trilogy and I noticed the reviewers have noticed it as well.
What is the hardest thing about writing? 
Titles, editing and staying motivated.
What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book? 
I tried to make it a longer book and that was hard.
What is the easiest thing about writing? 
Moving along as ideas came to me.
How long on average does it take you to write a book? 
4-6 months, depending on how long I want the book to be.
Do you ever get writer’s block? 
Yes, all the time and it’s horrible.
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block? 
Nope. I just have to wait for it to go away.
What are your thoughts on writing a book series? 
I think, since I don’t plan books, writing a series is difficult.
Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors? 
I LOVE Anne Rice, Christine Feehan, Tara Fox Hall, Deborah Palumbo, Mark Knight and so much more.
For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/hard back books? 
I prefer paperbacks but my Kindle is growing on me.
What book/s are you reading at present? 
Thirst by Christopher Pike.
Do you proofread/edit all your own books or do you get someone to do that for you? 
Both.
Do you let the book stew – leave it for a month and then come back to it to edit? 
Yes. Absoluely!
Tell us about the cover/s and how it/they came about
I scour free images until I come across ones I absolutely love.
Who designed your book cover/s? 
For the traditionally published books, obviously the publisher created them. For my self-published books, I do my own covers.
Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process? 
Absolutely!
How are you publishing this book and why? 
After my first traditionally published, I had my own my publishing company publish my own books.
What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around? 
I get to keep more of the profits being self-published. The disadvantage is I have to do everything myself which can sometimes be very daunting.
How do you market your books? 
I use various methods of online publishing. I enjoy the work.
Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books? 
Keep working at what you want and eventually it will happen..
What part of your writing time do you devote to marketing your book? 
When I’m not writing, I’m marketing so quite a bit.
Do you have a trailer or do you intend to create one for your own book/s? 
I had one for my fist book, The Vampire Queen but haven’t done any since.
Do you think that giving books away free works and why?
I think it’s a valuable asset to help with marketing and getting your name out there,
In what formats is your book available? On Amazon it’s available on Kindle but on Smashwords, it’s available on Kinde, epub, mobi, etc.
How do you relax?
I try to listen to music and meditate to relax. Doesn’t always work but it’s a good start! Lol.
What is your favorite inspirational quote? 
“I often paint self-portraits for it is I who knows me the best”-Frieda Kahlo.
What is your favorite book and why? 
Blackwood Farms by Anne Rice. It is full of action, and is an Anne Rice vampire novel.
What is your favorite movie? 
The Crow, Interview with A Vampire, Pretty In Pink (I’m an 80’s girl) and Breakfast Club.
What advice would you give to your younger self? 
Don’t ever give up for what you believe in.
Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why? 
Anne Rice as she’s just an amazing Author and I think she would be interesting.
What advice would you give to aspiring writers? 
Same as for my younger self, Don’t give up on your dreams.
Where do you see publishing going in the future? 

Loren Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2013-2014 Loren Mathis Books
Template by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0