Author Interview - Serena Akeroyd

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 10:39 AM
0
Hello Everyone!
Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Serena Akeroyd, author of the Naughty Nookie Series.
Hi Serena, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Hey Loren, I appreciate you having me on your blog!
My background is definitely not in writing; if anything, it’s in languages. I speak Spanish fluently and up until a few years ago, before I discovered writing, I could speak French and German too. Then, like a bat out of hell (couldn’t resist that particular simile,) writing blasted on to the scene. I discovered Harlequin Romance novels and I just knew my future was in romance. It was a definitely bizarre moment. I’ve never experienced anything like it.
I’ve always been a reader; never a writer. I sucked at English in school. All of a sudden, that changed. A pretty phenomenal moment for me. : )
What were you like at school?
I was very boring. I found it hard to make friends and the ones I had, I used to annoy, lol. I must have been a real nightmare. I spent a lot of time with my Grandma as a kid, so my head has always been a lot older than most of my peers. I found it very difficult to settle. Plus, I’ve always been a loner. Still am.
Were you good at English?
No! The creative writing part, I wasn’t too bad. Because of my experience with languages, grammar has always been a priority for me. But with Lit, ugh, I sucked! I just couldn’t analyze the books and I found the essays to be a nightmare. Why did Steinbeck write this? Duh, because he wanted to! I wanted to write that so badly on my exams and reports. :P I never did!
What are your ambitions for your writing career?
To become a full-time, self-supporting writer. Not asking for a lot, am I? :P
So, what have you written?
Currently, I’m in the throes of writing my first series: the Naughty Nookie Series. It includes twelve novellas, all ranging in word count from 15 thousand words to over 50 thousand. The series follows three women, Mona, Marina and Eddie as life takes them on many twisting, turning paths and all so they can discover who they truly are. Not what society has made them be.
Mona:
Fall Into Love
Crazy Little Thing Called Lust
All That Glitters
Can Be Gold
Marina:
A Bitch In Time
Just A Woman
Frustrated Instincts
And the final part of Marina’s tale was released yesterday! End Of The Beginning
Eddie’s story is coming soon. The first part is due for release in April.
Where can we buy or see them? (* include American, European and any other relevant links. Free, free promotions or prices can be included)
It’s best to shoot over to my Amazon Author Central page:
Here, you can find all my books.


What inspired you to write your first book?
I get a lot of inspiration just before I fall asleep. I was thinking about a series where women changed, thanks to the discoveries they made about their sex lives. Weird concept, I know. But I also wanted the characters to find themselves, to break out of the mold society has created for us.
I remember thinking about the title of the first book, Fall Into Love, as I drifted off to sleep. I consider it a good sign when, the following morning, I remember what was in my head before sleep. Safe to say, the memories were intact and Naughty Nookie was born!
What was the hardest part about writing your book?
The hardest part wasn’t actually the writing. I find that enjoyable. Although, I’m placing myself under a lot of pressure, as I’m releasing a book every month. Since August 2013, every four weeks, I have to write the next part. That’s very stressful. Worth it, though. : )
Do you have a specific writing style?
No, not really. I actually prefer 3rd person to 1st, but when I started writing Mona’s tale, it just didn’t read right in 3rd POV. So, I shifted and now, with other works in the future, I’m not sure which voice I actually prefer.

How did you come up with the title?
I like to take phrases or sayings we know and then alter them. So, instead of FALL IN LOVE, it’s Fall Into Love, because Mona literally falls into her hero’s arms in the first novella.
A Bitch In Time comes from A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE. Marina’s a bonafide bitch, so I thought it fitting. ;)
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Not intentionally, but I guess it’s to be yourself. Even if it’s outside the pigeon hole you’re boxed in. Just because the world says one thing, it doesn’t mean you can’t follow your own path.
Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?
I have three main characters; Mona, Marina and Eddie. They’re all special women. Mona is undervalued and underappreciated by society; she’s a cleaner. Even so, she’s warm-hearted, loving and open. She’s a fab cook too! Marina is a bitch, but even so, beneath those hard edges, she’s gooey-soft. She’ll kill to protect those close to her. And Eddie is a control freak. She has to control everything or she just falls into a panic. She’s afraid to love, because she has lost so much in her life; it’s up to her hero to make her see sense!
What are you working on at the minute?
I’m working on the first part of Eddie’s tale. The first part is always intriguing, because even though I know my characters, I really fall into their personalities and start to learn who they are.
What genre are your books?
They’re classified as erotica, because there are many explicit sex scenes, but I don’t feel as though that’s the correct genre. I guess chick-lit/contemporary suits more. There are also veins of suspense and intrigue running throughout.
What draws you to this genre?
On the whole, I don’t see why erotica is so scorned. Sex, it’s something we all do and we wouldn’t be here without it! I’m drawn to it, because I can describe something that is a fundamental part to any relationship. It’s the only genre where in-depth detail can be placed into the sex scenes.
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
For Mona, I’d say Sandra Bullock. Marina would have to be Kate Winslet and Eddie, Charlize Theron.
They’d all need hair dye, though. Lol.
How much research do you do?
I do a lot of research. I like everything to be factually correct. It’s a point of pride. Last night, I was researching the adoption laws in the US and the age in which an adolescent can become legal guardian to their sibling! For anyone wondering, it’s 18!
Why do you write?
I write, because it’s a part of me. It’s something I’m good at. It’s something I enjoy and it’s my future. My career.
What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?
For me, the problem isn’t in starting something, but finishing something! I have over one hundred novels in different stages of completion. With this series, I used the pressure of time to force me to finish. I need deadlines; I need that pressure to get my butt in gear.
Do you write full-time or part-time?
Part-time.
Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I have no structure to my writing times, although I guess I need them.  I’m a night owl, so I tend to write better at night. 
Do you write every day, 5 days a week or as and when?
At the moment, my schedule is all over the place.  Because of the time constraints with each story, I spend a week trying to relax, but formulating the basic lines of the story. Then, I flop around a bit. Doing a little here and there. Then, the week before I have to send my stuff over to my editor, I write like crazy. And the weirdest thing is, I write my best stuff then! About a fortnight ago, I completed over 35 thousand words in a weekend!
Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
When I sit down and try to write, I try to complete over 3 thousand words, minimum. Otherwise, I just feel lazy. I like to hit 5k.
Do you write on a computer, dictate or longhand?
I do all three. It just depends on my mood. I like dictation and longhand, but I hate having to write them up on the computer! Sometimes, when I’m feeling stilted and staring at the screen is just driving me nuts, I’ll switch to dictation. If I want to sit outside, I’ll write longhand.
Where do your ideas come from?
My ideas come from everywhere! I’ll see something in the news and think, whoa! What if the person had done this, instead of that and what if that happened instead of this… a story is born! The truth really is crazier than fiction.
Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I have the gist of a story. I know certain parts; like in this series, I know each woman’s kinks. Then, I fill in the gaps as I work. Sometimes, a scene will pop into my head and I’ll have to rewrite to include it. I’m no good with organization. :P
How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Let’s put it this way; I was once a piece of snot on the floor, now I’m a bird. ;) The difference between myself as a writer in July of last year to now is immense. I’ve learned a lot, experienced a lot. I feel like a completely different person.
What is the hardest thing about writing?
The hardest thing is actually sitting down and getting your thoughts on that piece of electronic paper.
What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
It was the final part of Marina’s story and there were a lot of loose ends in need of tying. I had my work cut out tying them all and doing it in a satisfactory manner. It was tough, but the feedback I’ve had so far for End Of The Beginning has been immense.
What is the easiest thing about writing?
There is no easy part about writing. It’s all a huge puzzle. For me, a story is like a 1000 piece jigsaw. You start off with the pieces and you have to make a picture. Only, there’s no guide. And the jigsaw pieces can be cut to shape.
When I think of it like that, it’s a wonder books exist! :D
How long on average does it take you to write a book?
It depends. I wrote a Harlequin-sized book in two weeks. Yet, getting a few chapters down can take the same amount of time. All depends on my mood and frame of mind.
Do you ever get writer’s block?
No. I get tired and weary of writing; especially of late, as I’m writing a lot. In the last eight months, I’ve written over 280,000 words. That’s quite a lot. *sighs* But the ideas always flow. My problem at the minute is actually concentrating on Eddie’s tale. Recently, I’ve been flooded with ideas for a few paranormal stories. I can’t wait to write them!
It might sound like I don’t, but I LOVE what I do. Sure, I get tired and a bit glum, but I just love the whole process of writing. I love the idea that when someone reads my books, they can’t put them down. Thinking about the readers’ reactions to my work is a real buzz for me.
What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
I love how a series intertwines characters. When you get some characters you really like, you want to know more about them, even if it’s in another story. I like how, with series’, you can do that. In Marina’s story, I include tidbits about Mona and Eddie. That’s the beauty of it.
Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors?
I read a lot. Sometimes, writing gets in the way! :D I love all kinds of genres, but mostly romance with different heat levels. I especially love ménage stories. I just read a great one by Shayla Black and Lexie Blake.
For your own reading, do you prefer eBooks or traditional paper/hard back books?
I like both. EBooks are better, they’re lighter and cheaper. However, you can’t beat the weight of a book, or the smell. One of my goals is to have a library that rivals Henry Higgins’ in My Fair Lady!
What book/s are you reading at present?
I’m reading a paranormal story- with bear shifters!
Do you proofread/edit all your own books or do you get someone to do that for you?
When I finish a book, I read through it. I send it to a team of beta-readers and an editor. I amend and adjust to their comments, then read through one final time. It’s important that other fresh eyes see my work, because I want to publish the best work I can. Just because I’m self-publishing doesn’t mean the quality shouldn’t be there.
My only consolation is that even with professionally published works, mistakes fall through the net. I try my hardest to make sure my books are as polished as can be.
Do you let the book stew – leave it for a month and then come back to it to edit?
At the moment, I don’t have time to do that. But usually, I do like to leave a book and go back to it.
Tell us about the cover/s and how it/they came about.
My covers are by Clarissa at Yocla Designs. She rocks! I kind of tell her what I want, the bare bones and she makes it happen. :D
Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
I do! I think it’s a vital part. People buy with their eyes. The cover is the first thing they see, if they like it, they check out the blurb. It’s all a part of the process.
How are you publishing this book and why?
I’m Indie publishing all my work at the moment, but I’m hoping to shoot out a few manuscripts by the end of the year to traditional publishers. As an Indie, I’ve discovered it’s very hard to get your name out there and to be taken seriously as a writer.
Once I have a few works traditionally published, I’ll return to the Indie route. I love the control I have over the entire project.
How do you relax?
I relax by reading or even writing sometimes. I love to just lie in bed and daydream, or to sit outside and just look at the world around me. I watch some TV, not a lot, but a few programs float my boat. I like spinning (bike), yoga. I’m a home bird at heart, so that’s where I chill. : )
What is your favorite inspirational quote?
It’s a Danielle La Porte quote: Can you remember who you were before the world told you who you should be?
It just hits me in the gut. Every time I read it. POW!
What is your favorite book and why?
I have many. I consider a book to be one of my favorites if it makes me cry. I don’t cry often, so it’s a big deal. Girl at Lion D’or by Sebastian Faulks, His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman… I have varied tastes.
What advice would you give to your younger self?
To stop wasting time; to get on with writing. I should have started a lot earlier than 25 and I wasted too much time by hesitating and questioning if I could write. I should have just grabbed the bull by the balls!
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Just get on with it! Do it! Sit down, write and if at the end, you think it’s a pile of crap, well, hell, that’s what editing is for!!
How can readers discover more about you and you work?
Website: http://www.serenaakeroyd.net/
Blog: http://www.serenaakeroyd.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SerenaAkeroyd
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/serenaakeroyd
Pinterest:
http://www.pinterest.com/serenaakeroyd/
G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/111970585148202764442/posts/p/pub
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Serena-Akeroyd/e/B00EC76REA
Amazon Author Page UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serena-Akeroyd/e/B00EC76REA
Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7205755.Serena_Akeroyd
Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/authors/a1002722541/Serena-Akeroyd/
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.



Loren Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2013-2014 Loren Mathis Books
Template by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0